May 21, 2007

Product Extraordinaire: Tastes like burning


Those guys at Peanut Butter & Co. aren't kidding about this stuff: The Heat is On tastes seriously spicy. If I weren't so masochistic, I doubt I'd ever have gotten to the point where The Heat made it into peanut noodles, or especially a (wait for it) hamburger.

The standard, classic pb&j is a no-go with The Heat. I tried it with raspberry jam. It's ok, laugh at me. Wtf was I thinking? The incredible spiciness paired with the jam was awful in every way. Unfortunately for me, I kept trying it: once with sliced apples and raspberry jam, also no good; once with sliced bananas (no jam, thank God), predictably bad.

So there I was with this nearly-full jar of mouth-melting, nearly unusable stuff that I couldn't get myself to toss out (reasoning: I made a bad decision and I should suffer the full brunt of the consequences). After weeks of hearing me complain about how I'd ruined another sandwich, my worldly roommate (ex-roommate, tear) recommended spicy peanut noodles. Perfect.

Chicken satay with spicy peanut noodles. [see note]. Fantastic. I omitted the extra cayenne pepper and the recipe came out smooth and pleasantly spicy. If only I'd thought of The Heat as an ingredient rather than a condiment sooner.

The jar sat untouched for another few weeks until I found a recipe for spicy peanut butter hamburgers on the PB&Co. website. Even with the recent savory success with the satay, I thought the beef/peanut butter combination was crazy but worth a shot [see note]. The pan fried [boo!] burgers were really something else. The extra fat from the peanut butter and actual butter butter made them quite juicy, and all the better when topped with Gouda.

Certainly got my $6 out of it. And an adventure. Two adventures. Ok, a lot of excitement though most of it was of the "this tastes like burning. Why am I still eating this?" variety.


Notes: - For obvious reasons, I omitted parts of both recipes since there was no need for chutney or pork.
- Recipe for spicy peanut butter hamburger no longer online, but it is available in their cookbook.

No comments: