March 27, 2006

On the topic of meat.

This last week has been a bit of a beef-party, in terms of my notable food experiences. Monday night, I attempted bulgogi for ten people (mentioned in my previous post) - and let me tell you, I think it went off well. No one's reported any variety of intestinal distress, and I barely had leftovers, so I think I'm within my rights to say they liked it. :P

Bulgogi (Korean Rib-eye BBQ) is pretty simple to make. It's akin to a beef lettuce wrap, served with rice and various kinds of kimchi and other Korean panchan (side dishes), and a spicy dip made from hot pepper paste, miso, soy, with some sesame oil. You can pull the recipe off Epicurious here, although instead of brown sugar, I used white (use what you have!).

If you're in the DC area, the best place to get ingredients and pre-made panchan is Super H Mart, which has locations in Merrifield and Fairfax. Or, if you've never had Korean food before, both locations have excellent and inexpensive lunch counters, where you can try a selection of Korean favorites like bulgogi, kalbi, yook gae jang, and jamppong.

Then, on Friday night, right before seeing V for Vendetta for a second time, Debbie and I hit up Elevation Burger in Falls Church. I won't speak of it in quite the eloquent terms Skip's using, but suffice to say it was awesome, and I'll be back. I'll be back nine times. For those of you familiar with the Washington, D.C. area, I'm fairly sure you've tried out the neighborhood legend that is Five Guys. Yes? No? Well, if you have, Elevation Burger is like Five Guys, with all the sketch removed, and organic Virginia Kobe beef. ::drool:: Burgers are served with "Elevation Sauce," but there's also a selection of other toppings including caramelized onions, balsamic mustard, etc. Also, I didn't feel as utterly crippled by a food coma as I usually do upon finishing a small Five Guys burger and bag of fries, if that's a consideration at all for you guys. But I did feel sated.

Also, perfectly skinny french fries fried in olive oil, and homemade malts and shakes.

Dinner, with a cheeseburger, hefty serving of fries, Honest Tea, and an orange-mango-strawberry shake ran $11. So if you get a chance, run out there and try one. I really, really don't think you'll be disappointed.


Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: