March 22, 2006

Portable Indian goodness (in Times Square?)

I love straightforward places: the Kati Roll Company rocked in just about every possible way. When Lisa, one of my coursemates from the Columbia Publishing Course, told me about this inexpensive Indian place near Times Square I was skeptical at best. The atmosphere was deli-like, but the bright orange walls and vintage Bollywood posters make the space comfortable (oh, and the great food helped too).

The menu consists of 'rolled' Indian standards like chicken tikka masala wrapped in tender, delicious naan. We both got the above roll and loved it, though I've heard great things about the vegetarian Aloo rolls (spicy potatoes with masala sauce). Lisa had previously gotten the achari paneer roll (Indian cottage cheese marinated in spicy pickles), though she didn't enjoy it as much as the chicken tikka.

The rolls themselves ranged from $2.50 to $5 a piece and I found one chicken tikka a filling lunch (though I'd spent the morning eating things for work). There was adaquate seating and they appear to be open until 4 a.m. (though I have no idea why anyone would be in the mid-40s at 4 a.m.)

MenuPages doesn't list the midtown location:
140 W 46th St (between 6th and 7th Avenues on the south side of the street. Don't make the same mistake I did and walk into the fancy-and-expensive Italian place next door. If you see grim waiter, go down one more door)


Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: